Aging at home is a comfortable alternative to assisted living facilities for the elderly. It allows your loved one to live in a place with which they are familiar and lets them continue to spend time with their friends and family.
As the care-taker, family member, or friend who is helping care for an aging person, it is your responsibility to ensure that the place where they reside is not only comfortable for them, but safe as well. Use the checklist below while assessing your home in terms of safety and address what is necessary to keep your loved one safe as they age in place:
Home Safety Checklist
- Check for hazards. Look for rugs and cords that might be easy for your aging loved one to trip over when moving around the home. Have grab bars installed in areas which can be dangerous for them to access, like bathrooms and kitchens.
- Be prepared for emergencies. Discuss with your family members how you will handle a medical crisis. A good idea is to have some sort of personal emergency response system. These can be worn around the wrist or neck and can help your loved one alert you or emergency medical technicians when they are in danger.
- Consider mobility. Decide whether your aging family member has access to a vehicle or not. If they can drive, establish driving rules that promote safety and arrange to have someone there to ride with them whenever possible.
- Manage medication. Make sure medications and other pills are in a safe place and out of reach for anyone prohibited from accessing them. Plan for who will be in charge of giving medication and when it is to be given, if your loved one can no longer do it themselves.
- Ensure adequate heating and cooling. Comfortability and the safety of your aging family member’s health are things that should never be compromised. Ensure your HVAC unit works properly and is getting the proper amount of heat and cold air to the bedroom and common areas where your loved one spends their time.
To learn more about providing a safe and comfortable environment for your aging family member or friend, call Kenwood Care assisted living facilities. We are the premier senior care provider in Howard County, MD and are happy to provide assistance in caring for the elderly both inside our facilities and out. Contact us today if you are interested in our services or want to learn more about how to keep your aging loved one safe in the home.