When it comes to choosing the right end-of-life care for your aging loved one, both hospice and palliative care can be beneficial in keeping them comfortable during their remaining time here. Let’s take a look at the similarities and differences between these two types of care.
Hospice vs. Palliative: The Similarities
- Both types of care focus on providing comfort to patients.
- Both are intended to reduce stress, whether it be mental or physical.
- Both offer aid to those with serious illness.
Hospice vs. Palliative: The Differences
Definition: Hospice care is defined as the compassionate care provided to those with chronic or terminal illnesses who have a prognosis of 6 months or less.
- Services are usually administered in the person’s home.
- A family caregiver is involved in hospice care in addition to a visiting hospice nurse.
- Hospice care focuses on the last few months of life.
- Insurance coverage for hospice may vary, although many are covered under Medicare.
Most hospice care programs focus on comfort rather than aggressive disease treatment. Patients are usually those who have opted to forgo life-prolonging treatments and are most concerned with getting the most from the short time they have left. Hospice care can help patients cope with their feelings about death and dying as well.
Definition: Palliative care is defined as care that provides relief from symptoms, physical strain, and mental stress of those with serious or life-limiting illnesses.
- Services are administered in a hospital-type setting by a team of doctors and nurses.
- Extended care facilities commonly offer palliative care.
- There are no time restrictions on palliative care – it can be received during any stage of illness, terminal or not.
- Palliative care is often covered under regular medical insurance plans.
Life-prolonging methods are not necessarily avoided with palliative care. This type of care is mostly given to patients who are actively receiving treatment throughout the different stages of their life-limiting condition.
Kenwood Care is an Assisted Living Center in Maryland.
If you’re not sure which care is best for your loved one, or would like to begin the process of placing them in trustworthy hands as they age, look to the professionals at Kenwood Care. We are an established Maryland assisted living center with locations throughout Howard County. Our caregivers are dedicated to keeping every resident as comfortable as possible during their remaining time here. Contact us for more information on our hospice and palliative care services today.