How to Find the Right Assisted Living Community
As we age, there comes a time when we consider the option of moving to an assisted living community. Getting around your home becomes difficult, and you can no longer perform everyday tasks. While you may want to stay in your home, it can be dangerous unless you have someone living with you. Who will be there to help you if you fall?
There are a variety of benefits to living in a Columbia, MD assisted living community. We wanted to take some time today to talk about these benefits, and how you can find the right assisted living community for you.
Figure Out What You Need
Before you can start looking for a Columbia, MD assisted living community, you need to know what to look for. What personal needs do you have? What would you like to find in your community? Here are some questions you should consider:
- Where would you like to go? Would you like to stay close to home, or go far away?
- What features would you like in your living space? Do you need a kitchen? An extra bathroom?
- What kind of entertainment amenities would you like? A pool? Art studio? Movie theater?
- Are you allowed to bring your pets?
- Can the facility accommodate your medical needs? Is there a registered nurse or medical professional on site at all times?
What to Look For When on a Tour
Before you choose a Columbia, MD assisted living community you should take a tour of several different facilities. Here are a couple of things that you should look for:
- Are the grounds well taken care of? By seeing how well the grounds and the facility are maintained can give you an insight into how things are run there. If they neglect the grounds of their facility, they may be neglecting other aspects as well.
- Are there safety measures in place? Look for things like grab bars, emergency exits, call buttons, smoke detectors, and overhead sprinklers.
- What does the culture look like? Look at how both the residents and staff act and what their mood is. Are residents happily taking part in activities? Do staff members look friendly and attentive?
- Talk to some residents. No one can give you a better view of what living there is like. Ask them how long they’ve lived there, and how much they like it.
Come to a Quality Columbia, MD Assisted Living Community
This is a big decision that you need to make, and is one you should not make lightly. Here at Kenwood Care, we have been helping seniors for years at our Columbia, MD assisted living communities. If you’re considering moving into an assisted living community in Columbia, MD, contact us today. Our team of caregivers is standing by ready to help you in any way they can.
Click to View the Areas We Serve
Howard County: Clarksville (21029), Columbia (21044), Cooksville (21723), Dorsey (21075), Elkridge (21075), Ellicott City (21043), Fulton (20759), Glenelg (21737), Glenwood (21738), Granite (21163), Hanover (21076), Highland (20777), Jessup (20794), Lisbon (21765), Marriottsville (21104), North Laurel (20723), West Friendship (21794), Woodbine (21797), Woodstock (21163), and more.
Montgomery County: Olney (20832), Damascus (20872), Laytonsville (20882), Silver Spring (20910), Clarksburg (20871), Gaithersburg (20878), Germantown (20876), Bethesda (20816), Chevy Chase (20815), and more.